The Best of the Best Top Motorcycle Roads in America
It’s been a pretty horrible couple of weeks for the American Motorcycle Association. The scandal over the AMA’s Hall of Fame induction process quickly gave the group a pair of black eyes and loosened up a few teeth, but the Hall of Fame isn’t all the association does with their time.
The also offer some excellent safety information, sponsor racing events across the nation in a variety of disciplines and offer their advice on a wide range of motorcycle-related topics.
American Motorcyclist magazine, the in-house organ of The American Motorcycle Association has released it’s list of the top 15 motorcycle roads in the United States, based on votes from AMA members.
If you ever get the chance to ride any of the roads in the list, do it, you won’t be sorry.
- Beartooth Highway (Between MT and WY)
- Blue Ridge Parkway (NC)
- U.S. Route 129 – The Tail of the Dragon (NC/TN Border)
- U.S. Route 550 (Ouray to Durango, CO)
- California Route 1 – Pacific Coast Highway (CA)
- Going to the Sun Road, Glacier National Park (MT)
- Cherohala Skyway (NC and TN)
- California Route 36 (CA)
- U.S. Route 12 – Lolo Pass (MT and ID)
- Angeles Crest Highway – California Route 2 (CA)
- Natchez Trace (Natchez, MS to Nashville, TN)
- U.S. Route 33 (Harrisonburg, VA to Seneca Rocks, WV)
- California Route 58 (McKittrick to Santa Margarita CA)
- Ohio Route 170 (Calcutta to Poland, OH)
- Washington Route 129 and Oregon Route 3 (Clarkston, WA to Enterprise, OR)
But We Say the Best Rides Are All In the Midwest
I-135 from Bloomington, Indiana to the Ohio River at the border.
Most sections of the run include sharp turns which lead to breathtaking climbs and descents. The fall colors are awesome, and Brown County and the northern tip of the route is a camping and hiking mecca.
M 119 from Mackinaw City, Michigan to Harbor Springs, Michigan.
This ride follows the Lake Michigan lakeshore through what the locals call the “tunnel of trees,” and features perfect road surfaces and stunning scenery. Do yourself a favor and stop in lovely Wequetonsing, Michigan to see how the other half lives along Little Traverse Bay.
Want to forge your own path and ignore the excellent advice we’ve put together? Yeah, we know, you’re a rebel and you have to go your own way.
The AAA Triptik Travel Planner can give you an excellent starting point for your journey.
Now that you’re ready to roll and you’ve picked your route and destination, here are a few things to consider to make sure your trip goes off without a hitch: